Monday, March 21, 2011

I didn't know that!!

When Mrs. Truelove introduced the class to the fraction bars, I rolled my eyes and thought of it as silly.  I've never been a good mathematician and when we're talking about fractions, I pretty much tune everything out.  Who knew that "fraction bars" were the key to unlocking my understanding of fractions.  I have always understood how to use them in different operations but I never understood the concept.  For example, 4/5x1/2 is 4/5 of 1/2.  You would have to divide the half fraction bar into tenths and shade in 4 of the 10 bars which would equal four tenths (4/10) or two fifths (2/5).  Until I used the fraction bars I did not understand why it would equal two fifths besides 4 x 1 =4 and 5 x 2 = 10, reduced to 2/5.  Instead of hating fractions, I actually don't mind using them now.  I have had success with them every since.  I will definately use fraction bars to teach my class about fractions and I will encourage my students to use them in solving operations that involve fractions. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your post. I am a visual learner, and I can see using fraction bars to help those students that need to "see" how things work. I will be using fraction bars and base ten blocks in my class. Just getting that visual makes all the difference in how we view a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with your post. Fraction bars can help those that like to see things being broken down, like myself. We may also have so students that don't understand as you go along on the board and the fraction bars can be used while they are sitting at there desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of your posts! Fraction bars are helpful and definitely the base ten clocks will be effective in our future classrooms. i am a very visual learner, along with most students. Using both of these will help the teacher and students work together effectively.

    ReplyDelete